[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: sum of price * qty, without node-set()

Subject: Re: sum of price * qty, without node-set()
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:09:24 -0500
charles gebhard
At 2004-01-28 19:22 -0800, Charles Gebhard wrote:
i'm a newbie and am trying to get a sum of a calculation; i'm hoping to get the value "162.00".
so, i'd really like to be able to do this in native XSLT 1.0 (without node-set). could someone please point me in the right direction?

Using a recursive-like "walk" of the source node tree, performing calculations at each step of the walk.

seems like it would be really simple.

If you don't mind recursive-like coding.

i've been pounding my head for hours.

I hope the working example demonstrated below provides relief. Note how I start at the first RECEIPT element, initializing the result to zero, then at each RECEIPT I perform the local calculation and update a running result. Then, if there is a sibling, pass this intermediate result to the sibling processing of the closest following sibling, using a mode to ensure other templates in my stylesheet don't interfere. If there is no sibling, return the value calculated so far.

The template calling returns a string, so the variable is initially a text string in a result tree fragment node, that I then cast to a number for other checking and calculations (this has to be done for checking because all result tree fragments test as true).

Note the trick in the variable declaration where I have a leading zero followed by the string calculated by the templates: this way, if there are no RECEIPT elements at all, the string at least contains a zero digit to be converted to a zero result ... otherwise you would get a NaN result.

................. Ken

p.s. I note your company is based in San Francisco ... we are scheduled to teach XSL in a publicly subscribed course in Burlingame next month at the SFO Embassy Suites hotel; details linked from our home page.

T:\ftemp>type gebhard.xml <BATCH> <RECEIPT> <qtyRcpt>1</qtyRcpt> <line> <pr>102.00</pr> </line> </RECEIPT> <RECEIPT> <qtyRcpt>3</qtyRcpt> <line> <pr>20.00</pr> </line> </RECEIPT> </BATCH>

T:\ftemp>type gebhard.xsl
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
                version="1.0">

<xsl:template match="/">
  <xsl:variable name="result-text">
    <xsl:text/>0<xsl:apply-templates select="/*/RECEIPT[1]" mode="equation"/>
  </xsl:variable>
  <xsl:variable name="result" select="number($result-text)"/>

<xsl:value-of select="$result"/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="RECEIPT" mode="equation">
  <xsl:param name="result" select="0"/>
  <xsl:variable name="this" select="$result + ( qtyRcpt * line/pr )"/>
  <xsl:choose>
    <xsl:when test="following-sibling::RECEIPT">
      <xsl:apply-templates select="following-sibling::RECEIPT[1]"
                           mode="equation">
        <xsl:with-param name="result" select="$this"/>
      </xsl:apply-templates>
    </xsl:when>
    <xsl:otherwise>
      <xsl:value-of select="$this"/>
    </xsl:otherwise>
  </xsl:choose>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>
T:\ftemp>saxon gebhard.xml gebhard.xsl
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>162
T:\ftemp>

-- Public courses: sign up for one or both soon to reserve your seat! Each week: Monday-Wednesday: XSLT/XPath; Thursday-Friday: XSL-FO Washington, DC: 2004-03-15 San Francisco, CA: 2004-03-22 Hong Kong, China: 2004-05-17 Bremen, Germany: 2004-05-24 World-wide on-site corporate, government & user group XML training

G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0    +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.