[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Empty object

Subject: Re: Empty object
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:06:34 -0500
xsl space character
Michael Kay wrote:

my mistake SAX has nothing to do with my problem...rather Xalan.

My input xml file contains empty elements that I need to carry the corresponding attribute values for each of these empty elements.

I'm sorry, I don't understand your English, could you explain it in XML?
As I asked before, what does your input look like, and what do you want
your output to look like?

Of course when my transform complete I am stuck with XHTML that contains my favorite NONbreaking Space character.

I don't understand the "Of course", I don't know why your output has NBSP characters, and I don't know why you want to get rid of them.

Need to have my XHTML output to contain

<td style="bla" ..etc> {space currently is occupied by the NONbreaking Space character}. Need to replace when the actual element is empty the {NONbreaking Space character with a valid space holding character}

Is the input element empty, or does it contain a non-breaking space character? I am completely confused.

Attempting to include the string <xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes">&amp;amp;nbsp;</xsl:text> without much luck at the moment.

You said before that you didn't want NBSP characters, so why are you
writing code that's designed to generate them?

What is a best practice method for first determining if a element is empty; then replace that NONbreaking Space character with a character that will parse properly with Xalan?

If the element is empty then by definition it doesn't contain a non-breaking space character.

Non-breaking space characters are perfectly legal in XML and will not
cause Xalan any problems.

Michael Kay

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Michael,

input xml file contains elements that are not empty but contain &nbsp;

<OBJECT>&nbsp;</OBJECT> This nonbreaking space character is needed to keep the space in this element.

When I run my transform the XHTML output contains <OBJECT>nbsp;</OBJECT> which of course is wrong. I need the final XHTML output to contain <OBJECT>&nbsp;</OBJECT>.

What do I need to add to my transform to assure that when my OBJECT element contains a nonbreaking space character ; my transformed XHTML output contains <OBJECT>&nbsp;</OBJECT>.

- Scott

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.