[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: few nodes are missing ??

Subject: Re: few nodes are missing ??
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 15:36:43 -0400
xsl output missing node
Dipesh,

I have spent a little time with your problem and have something to get you started up again....

I pretty much tossed your XSLT however, as it was pretty useless for indicating what you want your results to be, and it's not in a coding style that I can work with (it is highly "procedural" in nature, not a good fit for XSLT). So I took your simplified input (thank you), and your desired output, and implemented *part* of what I believe you want:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
                xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
                xmlns:e="http://exslt.org/common"
                extension-element-prefixes="e">

<xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes"/>

<xsl:variable name="possible-headersRTF">
  <xsl:for-each select="(//CLASS)[1]">
    <!-- assumes all classes have similarly-structured ancestry -->
    <xsl:for-each select="ancestor::*">
      <field type="element">
        <xsl:value-of select="generate-id()"/>
      </field>
      <xsl:for-each select="@*">
        <!-- assumes attributes on ancestors, at least, are unique -->
        <field type="attribute">
          <xsl:value-of select="local-name()"/>
        </field>
      </xsl:for-each>
  <xsl:for-each select="//CLASS//Column">
    <xsl:for-each select="@*">
      <field type="attribute">
        <xsl:value-of select="."/>
      </field>
</xsl:variable>

<xsl:variable name="possible-headers" select="e:node-set($possible-headersRTF)"/>

<xsl:variable name="actual-headers" select="$all-headers/*[not(.=preceding-sibling::*)]"/>

<xsl:template match="/">
  <xsl:copy-of select="$actual-headers"/>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Running this on your source, I get:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<field type="element">d0e2</field>
<field type="attribute">Att1</field>
<field type="attribute">Att2</field>
<field type="element">d0e4</field>
<field type="attribute">Node1Att</field>
<field type="attribute">Node2Att</field>
<field type="attribute">ValOfColName1</field>
<field type="attribute">ValOfColName2</field>
<field type="attribute">ValOfColName3</field>
<field type="attribute">ValOfColName4</field>
<field type="attribute">ValOfColName5</field>
<field type="attribute">ValOfColName6</field>

... which, I believe, is a set of nodes that corresponds to the list of headers you want.

Note it is not, itself, that list. For example, one will need to process the field[@type='element'] nodes to get the labels that, apparently, you want, which correspond (apparently) to element type names. But it has all the information you need both to generate that list (that is, create your header line), and to generate a line for each of your Columns that enumerates all the values you want.

In order to get even this far, I had to use a couple of fairly sophisticated techniques, including an extension function to convert the results of my traversal of the source tree into a node set, so it could be processed further -- this is how I removed duplicates from the list once I had it.

Nonetheless, the *real* problem you are having is evidenced by the fact that I could use neither your code, nor your problem description, to guide me, but had to resort to making inferences based on the output you said you wanted. In other words: the problem was *under-specified* -- and even solving just the first part of it, I could have gone wrong simply by mistaking what you wanted.

This is the level at which I think you need to be concentrating your energies. Currently, you are trying to "think with your hands" by writing code to approximate, successively, what you want. This is a perfectly respectable technique, at times (I confess to using it myself, on occasion) -- but it'll get you into trouble quickly if you are not perfectly familiar with the processing model and best practices of the language you are using. That is, when you are first learning. Which is what I believe is happening to you.

Instead of trying to make it up as you go along, I'd recommend approaching XSLT by putting together a complete specification of (a) inputs, (b) outputs and (c) how outputs relate to inputs (*not* how they are created procedurally but only how they are related), *before* you write a line of code. Nowhere in your posts have I seen a really clear specification such as, for example:

"First I need a header line that lists unique names of fields, delimited by `
   characters, corresponding to:
 * all ancestors of a CLASS
 * all attributes on those ancestors
 * all types of Column appearing in all CLASSES, distinguished by
     values of ColName attributes

"Then, for each CLASS...."

Among the many reasons this is so important is that it provides the outline of your stylesheet, and begins to break the problem up into manageable pieces.

Now you have -- maybe -- a partial solution for the first part of your problem, I hope you can make headway. From here you could try either or both of two things: 1. Apply the code I've written (assuming it's on the right track), figuring out how it works and completing a solution based on it; 2. Write up a complete specification of the problem and then code XSLT to that.

Without a clear and complete problem specification, no one on the list can really help you with the coding, since we don't know what to code. We can guess, but that's not really all that much fun.

Good luck,
Wendell

====================================================================== Wendell Piez mailto:wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Mulberry Technologies, Inc. http://www.mulberrytech.com 17 West Jefferson Street Direct Phone: 301/315-9635 Suite 207 Phone: 301/315-9631 Rockville, MD 20850 Fax: 301/315-8285 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in SGML and XML ======================================================================

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.