[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Authority For Western Line Breaking Rules

Subject: Re: Authority For Western Line Breaking Rules
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:48:11 -0500
asmus freytag
Kobayashi wrote:

I have pointed this thread to Asmus Freytag who is a author of UAX#14.
Follwings are reply from him, I copied them with the permission from Freytag.

[...]

(Freytag until the end of body of this mail:)

[...]

For background, Annex 14 is very permissive, implicitly allowing line breaks wherever they are not explicitly disallowed and does not, for example, disallow breaks following closing punctuation, allowing for example, this break:

"e. g., a thing"

That is, Annex 14 allows this break, even though it would be wrong in any Western language I'm familiar with.

However, the statement is incorrect. UAX#14 allows breaks after closing punctuation, but not if it precedes alphabetic characters.

That's good to know.

However, I will comment that in my reasonably close (but somewhat late-night) reading of Annex 14, I did not see this--the way the rules are defined makes it pretty difficult to decode the rules without a really close reading--and I'm a person whose spent most of the last 10 years writing and decoding complex standards.

I know that standards writers are always strapped for resources and that these sorts of annexes always get a lower priority, but it would be helpful if this annex could be made a little clearer, I think. At a minimum, a bit more discussion of the implications of the rules might be helpful.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber
ISOGEN International, LLC
eliot@xxxxxxxxxx
www.isogen.com

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.