[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: XSL-FO versus PostScript

Subject: Re: XSL-FO versus PostScript
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 17:54:22 -0800
fo generator
David Carlisle wrote:

but there's no *inherent* limitation in the ability of FO-based systems to produce typographic results as good as those produced by any other system.

Actually I disagree. XSLT inherits from DSSL implementations a lack of
feedback from the typesetter to the rest of the system.
this means that there are some things you just can not do without some
non standard extension.

Actually, I was thinking of things like line breaking and character spacing, not area positioning. You are of course correct that without feedback from the paginator to the FO generator, there are certain layout problems that cannot be solved by an automatic system.

[...]
I'm a bit confused here because I seem to be agreeing with your whole
message including this bit, which seems to not agree with teh "inherent
limitation" qute above, unless you mn that these feedback issues could
be fixed in a revised spec?

Yes--on the EXSLFO list I've discussed several possible low-cost solutions to this limitation, and an architected solution in the spec itself is certainly possible. It's also important to keep in mind that while XSL was designed to support a two-stage generate/paginate process, it does not require that--there's no reason an FO implementation couldn't provide a private feedback mechanism in an all-in-one processor.

My low-cost solution is simply to define a mechanism by which FO processors can be directed to generate auxiliary, or "side" files, with page- and marker-specific information that can be fed back into an XSLT process. This would enable a multi-pass, layout-aware process at minimal additional cost to FO implementations.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@xxxxxxxxxx
Consultant, ISOGEN International

1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
Austin, TX  78752 Phone: 512.656.4139

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.