[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Answers to review questions in "Beginning XSLT": C

Subject: Re: Answers to review questions in "Beginning XSLT": Chapter 8
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 14:14:47 -0500
literature review xml xslt chapter
At 06:53 PM 3/18/03, you wrote:
Chris,

Having taught in the university setting, I submit that the solution to the problem of plagiarism, or of the inappropriate, uncredited use of extra-curricular materials in general, is not to throttle the public sharing of information where it occurs.

I certainly agree with you here, Wendell. I would never want to throttle the interplay on this list in any way: the help this list has given
me and many others is invaluable, and I would particularly single out Jeni Tennison and yourself as two examples of people who have
been extremely helpful, to me personally as well as to the XSLT community as a whole. I guess my concern was that posting of answers
to questions in a (at least potential) textbook would lead to that textbook becoming less valuable, and thus it would hurt Jeni's book's
value.

I'm afraid students (and their professors) do have to take some responsibility. If this list were explicitly directed and managed in support of someone's formal curriculum, I could see the reasonableness of our agreeing to observe such restrictions. As it is, I think the benefits of Lars' and Jeni's efforts in public outweigh the costs. (Especially since the cost cited is merely hypothetical and based on the idea that members of this list should be responsible for "too large a temptation for some less scrupulous student". Poor thing, unable to resist!)

Yes, students and teachers have to take responsibility as well. For my classes, I've always tried to come up with questions that weren't
in the books, and which I haven't asked in previous years (some frats are known for keeping files of papers from previous years, etc.).
That may be easier for classes in my academic field (literature), where there is a potentially close to infinite number of questions that
could be asked. And of course you're absolutely right that the bottom-line responsibility is the student's. One quick anecdote: I had
a pair of students once who turned in the same paper at the same time: somehow, they must have been assuming that I didn't
actually read their assignments, I guess. They didn't do too well in my class. Nevertheless, however, the amount of effort and
time that is required to come up with new sets of questions (let alone new editions of textbooks) is often hard to justify against the
small remuneration paid to the teachers of the world, and if it were my textbook, I'd want to maintain its value for as long as possible
(even if that time is measured in Internet time). If Jeni doesn't feel that way, of course, it's her call: it's her textbook.

I guess I would suggest that working with specific questions that come up in the process of working with XSLT is always fair game:
this list is an invaluable resource for those (like me) who need such assistance. Even someone working on an assignment who needs
help getting past one specific problem seems fine to me -- that's what TAs do anyway, of course. It's just the idea of answering all of
the questions in such a way that a Google search could find them for that budding plagiarist that strikes me as likely to reduce the
value of Jeni's book. If Jeni doesn't care, it's OK with me, but if it were my textbook, I'd rather answer this particular sort of question
off-list instead.

In any case, I don't want to belabor the point. Students have been finding ways to avoid learning for a long time, and answering a
few questions on an email list won't change that. I leave it to your own senses of what's right.

Another $0.02 worth. (In place of the nickel's worth of lecture on how the plagiarist is really robbing himself. :-)

I could give you that lecture too! ;-)

Cheers,
Wendell

At 04:54 PM 3/18/2003, Chris wrote:
At 03:38 PM 3/18/03, you wrote:
Hi all,
Here are my answers to the review questions in Ch. 8 of "Beginning XSLT"
by Jeni Tennison.  Comments, corrections or clarifications are appreciated.
My hope is that these postings and responses will be of value in the future
to anyone working through Beginning XSLT and wanting to check their answers.

Regards,
Lars

Is anyone else bothered by this? I'm sure that Mr. Huttar's intentions are entirely noble, and he's clearly doing the work entailed in studying the questions in Ms. Tennison's book and formulating his answers. However, having these answers posted and archived seems to me too large a temptation for some less scrupulous student who may be assigned these questions when using Ms. Tennison's book in a class. I know in some other email lists I've been on, care was taken not to circumvent the learning process for such students by doing their homework for them. Wouldn't that same care be appropriate here?

======================================================================
Wendell Piez                            mailto:wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.                http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9635
Suite 207                                          Phone: 301/315-9631
Rockville, MD  20850                                 Fax: 301/315-8285
----------------------------------------------------------------------
  Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in SGML and XML
======================================================================

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

--Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Texterity ~ XML and PDF ePublishing Services
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris Loschen, XML Developer
Texterity, Inc.
144 Turnpike Road
Southborough, MA 01772 USA
tel: +1.508.804.3033
fax: +1.508.804.3110
email: loschen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.texterity.com/

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.