[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: schema -> HTML Forms

Subject: Re: schema -> HTML Forms
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 12:41:50 -0500
5474.zip

On Sunday, January 5, 2003, at 05:40 AM, Jeni Tennison wrote:

Hi Simon,

I'm looking at using a schema to generate an HTML form that a user can
fill in. This is to save them from having to edit the XML directly. I'd
like to do this using XSLT, and looking at it, it seems like a pretty
common thing for people to want to do. So, there must be some code
floating around that does this but I can't find it. Please help?

I wrote a stylesheet to do this for Chapter 10 of "Professional XML Schemas" from Wrox Press. The code is online at the Wrox website at http://web.wrox.com/professional/5474.zip, though the book contains the documentation for the stylesheet.

Thanks Jeni. I'm using an RNG (relax ng) schema so I think I'll try to roll my own and keep yours as a backup in case I get stuck.

I guess an issue I'm going to hit eventually is dealing with situations where a schema allows zeroOrMore or oneOrMore (to use rng terms) of a set of items ... if the user wants to add more than I provided on the forms there's going to have to be some feedback back and forth.

Also I notice that you seem to be using javascript for validation .. that's cool.

Overall though, your code looks at first glance like it's very procedural rather than functional/declarative. Was that a matter of style or did you find that to be necessary in this instance?

simon

---
www.simonwoodside.com

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.