[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Incremental Processing Guidelines

Subject: Incremental Processing Guidelines
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:33:56 -0700
incremental processing
I have a pretty huge XML file to transform, so I want to be sure to craft my XSLT sheet to enable the incremental features of an XSLT processor if that's possible. I've been using both Saxon 6.x and Xalan-Java 2.4.

I've found stuff in the Xalan-Java 2.4 FAQ and in the archives of this list; but the info I've gathered so far is anecdotal or authoritative but limited. For example, I know that using using counts and sorts are incompatible with incremental processing. From a earlier exchange this year on this list I saw that apparently using an xpath of "preceding::something" instead of "../something" may be required for incremental processing. Plus I've seen a few other tidbits.

One thing I'd like to use in particular is an xsl:if, but I gather that may be a no-no?

Anyway, if there is a more authoritative list of guidelines or a more complete set of rules of thumb, that would be a big help.

Of course, if the current answer is just trial and error, that's also good to know. But if I do have to go that route, is there a way to get debugging output from Xalan or Saxon so I know where the processor is in the XML file when it starts pushing output from translations? I've used extensions for Java callbacks in my XSLT so I get nice feedback when either Xalan or Saxon start transforming; it's just hard to tell whether they've [expletive deleted] all or part of the source XML. Now if I use a really huge XML file as source for my iterative testing, I can always watch the VM memory consumption and tell that way; but it would be nice to do my trial and error with a smaller file.

Thanks!

d

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.