[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: XSLT/XPath 2.0 (was "Identifying two tags...")

Subject: Re: XSLT/XPath 2.0 (was "Identifying two tags...")
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 15:53:52 -0400
sch ma autoclave
Evan,

At 01:59 PM 5/6/2002, you wrote:
Some people are concerned about the sheer number of functions and operators
in XPath 2.0 (almost five times as many as in 1.0). A related issue is XPath
2.0's heavy dependence on XML Schemas. I personally share some of these
concerns. The real test of the specification's success is the number and
quality of implementations. Saxon 7 is a good pioneer. It would be great
(even crucial) to see more efforts sprout up before we approach
Recommendation status.

Could you comment more specifically please on the heavy dependence on Schemas you mention?

In particular, I'm concerned whether this dependence will mean it's not possible to use XPath 2, with its sequences, conditionals etc., in an environment where there is no schema (or no W3C Schema).

I've used W3C Schema a bit, and my experience with it suggests that most of it is vast overkill for most of what I want to do, which is on the document-centric not data-centric side. It's as if I were a baker, and W3C Schema were a chemistry lab: it's true that what I do involves some chemistry, but I can achieve what I want with some leavening and a 350 degree oven. Although Schema's mortar and pestle are nice, the centrifuge and autoclave are rather more than I need, and I don't have any idea why I'd want that hydrochloric acid. Please don't tell me I'd be a better baker if I learned to use the centrifuge, or about the great virtues of hydrochloric acid: that's just telling me you don't know from baking! :-)

I'm looking forward to the grouping, the round-tripping to node-sets etc. in XSLT 2.0; but count me among those who are nervous about XPath 2.0 largely because of the dependency questions. I'd be really happy to learn that XPath 2.0 will still do just fine even if I have no PSVI around.

I *suppose* I could go look at the draft ... but it would be nice to have a well-informed, sympathetic interlocutor put it in a nutshell.

Cheers,
Wendell

====================================================================== Wendell Piez mailto:wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Mulberry Technologies, Inc. http://www.mulberrytech.com 17 West Jefferson Street Direct Phone: 301/315-9635 Suite 207 Phone: 301/315-9631 Rockville, MD 20850 Fax: 301/315-8285 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in SGML and XML ======================================================================

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.