[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

perhaps OT: ?s on native XML DBs and filesystem XML do

Subject: perhaps OT: ?s on native XML DBs and filesystem XML docs
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 13:52:00 -0700
filesystem xml
Hi,

I starting to investigate content XML storage options for an application that is driven by java servlets and XSLT. There are so many options ranging from free (Xindice) to very expensive (Tamino). I currently have an app based on filesystem XML documents. The content XML could be changed anytime a user is using the app (based on a lock system). The way the app is built would map nicely to an XML DB (I believe...).

I am in the process of learning how to do stress/load testing. I was hoping you guys could help on a few (not so simple) things:
[Example system info: RAM=512MB, processor=800mHz_XEON, OS=Linux_RedHat, webserver=Apache, servlet-container=(Resin | Tomcat)]
[Each HTTP request would require a cached XSLT Template (30% of the time 2-3 cached templates) and between 1 and 5(n?) filesystem XML documents]

1) Is there a general rule of thumb when the number of concurrent hits to a filesystem based app would hit the wall?
2) What are people's impressions of native XML DBs? Who is the best? Who is the best for a small budget (hopefully much less than 25k)?
3) If you have a user base on a single server of between 2 to 20 users would you need an XML DB or would a filesystem based app work decently?
4) If you have a user base of 'n' number of groups of 2-20 users, what would 'n' need to equal before you hit the wall?
5) Are there any suggestions on how to test these types of things? (I recently bought _ Java Tools for eXtrmeme Programming_ , by Richard Hightower and Nicholas Lesiecki, which will hopefully help me going forward).

Thanks is advance for any help!
-Rob

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.