[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Schema Exploration...

Subject: Re: Schema Exploration...
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 18:37:46 -0400
xsl complextype

Wendell Piez wrote:

Mark,

At 02:07 PM 4/18/2002, you wrote:

I'm trying to select a schema element node relative to the current xs:element node I've referenced in a parameter ($schema_node). The problem is that there are several cases that need to be checked for:

xs:element/*[@name='test1a' or @ref='test1b']
xs:element/xs:complexType/xs:choice/*[@name='test2a' or @ref='test2b']
xs:element/xs:complexType/xs:sequence/*[@name='test3a' or @ref='test3b']

You can take advantage of the fact that your schema should not have xs:elements with *both* a @name and a @ref to do something like:

<xsl:variable name="okaynames" select="'test1a test1b test2a test2b test3a test3b'"/>
<!-- the variable is not strictly necessary but makes things easier -->
<xsl:apply-templates select=".//xs:element[contains($okaynames, (@name|@ref))]"/>

Ok, the attribute values for @name and @ref can't be hardcoded because this is a general approach (test1a test1b .....) are just foobar's that would come from the name() of the tag in the XML document.

If I understand your problem correctly, this will work because:

.//xs:element selects all xs:element descendants of the current node (*really* strictly, all xs:element children of nodes on the descendant-or-self axis from the current node). If your element declarations go down more than one level, you may have to be more specific with this step, as in select="(xs:element | xsl:complexType/xs:choice/xs:element | xs:complexType/xs:sequence/xs:element)[ ... the predicate ... ]"

This seems the most effective solution and it worked:

<xsl:variable name="my_snode" select="($parent_snode/xs:element | $parent_snode/xs:complexType/xs:choice/xs:element | $parent_snode/xs:complexType/xs:sequence/xs:element)[@name=$node_name or @ref=$node_name]"/>

I don't suspect that a xs:element can fall anywhere else in another xs:element. But if it does I can just add it to the select statement.

My current goal is to build a JSP/Saxon based XML Editor that config's itself using an assigned schema. You'll be able to open any xml doc in it and add/remove/edit the contents of it based on the schema. The source of the doc will be configurable as well so that one can use it as a front end for editing xml stored in a database or in a directory on a server...

-Thanks (You just reduced the size of my xslt document by about 75%)
Mark
HMDC

I hope that helps--
Wendell

======================================================================
Wendell Piez                            mailto:wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.                http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9635
Suite 207                                          Phone: 301/315-9631
Rockville, MD  20850                                 Fax: 301/315-8285
----------------------------------------------------------------------
  Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in SGML and XML
======================================================================

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.