[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: XSLT 2.0 question

Subject: Re: XSLT 2.0 question
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 05:02:20 -0800
Re:  XSLT 2.0 question
Hi,

Bryan Rasmussen wrote:

You seem to be defeating the purpose of separating your content from
your presentation (that is why we like XSLT, right?). This app sounds
like it needs to be redesigned...  If your app cannot take more than one
*primary* XSLT, I would say it is pretty limited. But, I may be
misunderstanding what you wrote...

the app can take lots of xslt's, but users are locked into our xslt's, although I've created some specific ways for users to control the transformation output by describing output requirements in metadata files there is still a level of lock-in, I was just hoping to allow users to overwrite templates using embedded stylesheets.

we have an app that does something like what you are describing(in a J2EE servlet container). The directory structure is similar to :

- approot (master)
|
|-- site1
| |
| |-WEB-INF
| |
| |-xsl
| |-content
| |-classes
|
|-- site2
| |
| |-WEB-INF
| |
| |-xsl
| |-content
| |-classes
|
|- WEB-INF
|
|-xsl
|-content
|-classes

You can have a flag attribute in a config file that tells you to use the 'master' XSL(T) or the site's. The sites can have shells or wrappers in the their /WEB-INF/xsl folder that use as many of the 'master' component templates they like, or none (as you may know, everything under WEB-INF is protected in a J2EE servlet container). What is nice about this is you have one virtual host for the app and virtual hosts for each site. At an appropriate time, the user generates as much static content as possible (including JSP's, whatever...) to the docroot of the particular site when they want. Then you can have a QA type of thing when the user hits their site's virtual host, while still being able to work dynamically on the app's virtual host. Once Qa'd copy the site to the live server.

maybe this can help?

best,
-Rob

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.