[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: How to read the encoding of an XML document

Subject: Re: How to read the encoding of an XML document
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 17:18:09 -0400
european utf 16 xml
At 01:33 PM 10/25/2001 -0700, Christopher R. Maden wrote:
At 12:59 25-10-2001, James Garriss wrote:
Ok. If you recall, I started this discussion by mentioning that I am receiving XML documents from several European countries. So the pertinent question for me is "if UTF-8 and/or UTF-16 will be the output encoding set I must use, will they handle charcters from the languages I care about?"

So it seems to me that I should be safe outputing my data to UTF-16. That make sense?

Yes. UTF-8 and UTF-16 both cover the entire Unicode repertoire. The difference is that that UTF-8 uses a different number of bytes for different characters, while UTF-16 uses 2 bytes for most characters. For European content, UTF-8 is usually a win; for Asian content, UTF-16 is generally better. But either can represent the entire Unicode repertoire.

I've been looking at a lot of European web pages, viewing source to see what charset they define in the HTML META tag. The majority use iso-8859-1, but a few don't. Most notably Turkey and Greece have character sets that are quite different. How do I determine if UTF-16 (or UTF-8) will work for those languages?

--James

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.