[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: key() Re: Saxon VS XT

Subject: RE: key() Re: Saxon VS XT
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 12:38:41 +0200
RE: key() Re: Saxon VS XT
> > Apparently Sebastian did not document his stylesheet.
> > There was a thread some time ago upon the topic of embedding
> > documentation within style sheets, for exactly this reason.
> 
> I think it is very bad approach to 'solve' the readability problem
> with writing the comments.  Code should be self-documenting.

You are thinking of comments.  I was referring to actual _documentation_ since that is basically what is needed here.  We discussed ways to annotate a functional XSLT file in order to produce a new document which serves as the full documentation (i.e. what you ask for).  This annotation should be possible for each and every tag, and provide a fuller set of possibilities than just adding comments.

I suggest you reread the thread in the archive upto the conclusions.

> The language which *requires* usage of the 'tuning
> roadsign' has no future. 'Tuning roadsign' is for tuning.
> It is for 'computer'. 'Language' is for human beings.

Well.  Back when C was in its infacy the "register" keyword allowed the programmer to help the compiler.  When XSLT technology improves we can expect (while using a lot of CPU-cycles) to have the XSLT processor detect and apply such optimizations automatically.  Another example is the quality and speed of Java interpreters, at the cost of complexity and size of the interpreter/compiler.

The original issue still applies:  A 100% conformant XSLT processor must implement key(), in the same way that every C compiler today must recognize the "register" keyword.

-- 
  Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen   "...and...Tubular Bells!"

XSL-List info and archive:  http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.