[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Norwegian characters and XT

Subject: Re: Norwegian characters and XT
From: "Alistair MacDonald" <AlistairMacDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:14:20 +0100
html norwegian characters

>>> <u970130@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 03/30 8:03 pm >>>
> I successfully used XT to create a html file from xml and xsl. The 
> problem now is that the 3 special norwegian characters are not 
> formatted correctly. I tried making a program that replaces these 
> with the html-code for the corresponding character, like &oslash; 
> and &#216;, but using &oslash; resulted in an errormessage like 
> "reference to undefined entity &oslash;" from XT, and using &#216; 
> instead didn`t solve the problem either. 

The '&oslash;' undefined will be because your DTD doesn't define &oslash; I've taken to including the 3 Entity files from the Voyager DTD to get the values defined. (voyager is the XML reformulation of HTML, but the entities are fairly standard).

One of the problems that I have found when using XT to generate HTML is its desire to use ISO entity names rather than numbers wherever possible. I guess that this means HTML4 defines more entities than previous versions did, but it means that XT formatted files don't work correctly with Netscape which has only a very limited entity collection. I've got a version of the 'HTMLOutputHandler' (which I've "call" an HTML3.2 handler) which has all of the non-netscape supported entities commented out. That way, if you define the entities correctly in your DTD they will be rendered correctly on output - at least by BOTH netscape & IE)

Alistair

XSL-List info and archive:  http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.