[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: CSS for transformation

Subject: Re: CSS for transformation
From: "Philippe Le Hégaret" <Philippe.Le_Hegaret@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 23:20:56 +0200
transformation de baker
Tyler Baker wrote:
> Well there is speculation and there is fact.  The current XSL draft is working
> quite well (at least for HTML output) for the needs of a highly-dynamic website I
  Do you call "quite well" the current solution ? This is a post processor solution !
How can I generate HTML4 strict or HTML4 transitional with this solution ? Should
we add a namespace for all HTML DTD ?

> am indirectly involved with.  I don't think XSL is supposed to be the end-all
> solution for everything, but something simple enough that you don't need a
> complicated programming background just to create a highly-dynamic website.
>
> XSL as not a programming language.  It is not a scripting language either.  I feel
> XSL's power will be in its simplicity and its ability to change the entire look and
> feel of a website without changing the content or rewriting about 1000 lines of
> JavaScript each time.  Writing code to present content is just not a very efficient
> way of delivering dynamic content from a cost perspective.  No company in there
> right mind wants to hire 10 JavaScript experts just to get a website going.
> 
> XSL I believe will succeed because it will eliminate the need for a lot of the
> scripting solutions as well as the really high-end web-site server products people
> use today to get the job done.  In the end, this saves businesses money and that is
> why it will succeed.
  I understand your opinion and have no answer for you. But you can't do
a lot of thing with XSL ...
 For example, if I want to have two result tree from one XML document, I can't. I must
write a program to do this for the moment. You reject the scripting solution because
you don't need a powerful tool. What users, like me, can do with this poor
language ? Should we definitively forget XSL and write programs without specification
or guideline ?

Philippe.

XSL-List info and archive:  http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.