Re: Media types used in xml-stylesheet processing ins
then Jarno.Elovirta@xxxxxxxxx wroteWhich media types are currently used in xml-stylesheet processing instructions for XSLT? I know about application/xslt+xml, and the unregistered text/xsl. Are there any others in use?
to be clear;Browsing the Mozilla CVS, nsXMLContentSink.cpp <http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/content/xml/document/src/nsXMLContentSink.cpp> seems to check for
XSLT 1.0 spec states that MIME types text/xml and application/xml 'should' be used, though there are a few caveats;
- The spec goes on to say that new media types can 'also' be used, so things like text/xsl is fine.
- I tend to avoid the mime-type text/xml....as this conflicts with what various specs say on how to determine charset (XML and RFC3023)....
- IE (last time I checked) uses text/xsl
- Mozilla is fine with text/xml and application/xml...and something I didnt know (from Jarno's post) apparantly uses text/xsl as well
- and |application/xslt+xml is the mime-type as specified in the XSLT 2.0 draft spec
|clear as mud....from a server perspective I still tend to first check device, then browser, browser type, version....then send the correct mime-type (with lang/charset being checked somewhere along that sequence) based on the exact browser type/version and XSLT processor version.
gl, Jim Fuller
PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!
Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!
Download The World's Best XML IDE!
Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!
Subscribe in XML format