[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Planning for a xml/xslt Website

Subject: Planning for a xml/xslt Website
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 12:01:24 -0500
xml xslt website
I've become convinced using xml, xslt, and css is the way I want to build Web sites. I'm looking for a few suggestions on best practices.

Background:
My server side varies depending on the site I might be working on. In some cases it's ColdFusionMX, others asp or php.
The xml for a given page might come from an xml file, remote feed or a database query converted to an xml string on the fly. I will probably do the xslt transformation on the server because browser support is too iffy at this point.

Here is my question:
Each page of the site could potentially have a coldfusion or php file, and xml file and in some cases an xslt file and css file. I would make sure my pages share xslt and css style sheets. I know the whole point of using xslt and css is to build components of a site that can be reused, but the potential for exceptions always exist. So I have an xml file, a script (cfm, php, jsp or asp) file, and perhaps an xslt and css file for one page. Have I really maintaining my site and code easier? I've separated presentation from content so that helps a lot. But up to 4 files for one Web page? Is there a better way?

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.