[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: RE: Business logic (was: Re: Efficiency Issues)

Subject: Re: RE: Business logic (was: Re: Efficiency Issues)
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 03:36:02 -0700 (PDT)
business logic progress
> > Nobody has a precise but universal definition of the term
> > "business logic". One man's busines is someone else's
> > presentation.
> 
> You are right.
> 
> > Business logic is transactions, dealing with database access,
> > doing complicated calculations, drawing charts, perform spell
> > checking.
> 
> You are wrong. Drawing charts is (my) presentation. "Dealing with 
> database access" is not business logic either. Spell-checking is a 
> grey area, or perhaps a gray one, depending on the business and/or 
> presentation rules.
> 
> > If it's easy to do in XSLT, it is often presentation.
> > If it seems to be hard or impossible in XSLT, in particular if
> > you feel the need to store calculated trees in variables and
> > run templates on them again, or if you have lots of xsl:if
> > and xsl:choose, or lots of recursive templates, it is probably
> > business logic.
> >
> 
> I'm not convinced. I've seen XSLT used to do tax and interest rate
> calculations. That's definitely (my) business logic.
> 
> Actually, I think the vast majority of applications contain no 
> business logic, they are purely concerned with presentation and data 
> storage.


I want to back Mike on this. Using the functions of FXSL it is possible
for any XSLT programmer to easily perform very complex
calculations/processing. Remember: list processing, tree processing,
any numerical methods one can think of (e.g. differentiation,
integration, equation solving, evaluation of useful mathematical
functions (trigonometric, exponential, logarithmic,
random-generation,..., etc) and their inverse ones, string parsing,
..., some even more exotic things believed to be beyond the scope of
XSLT.

It's high time for us to definitely update our perception of what XSLT
can or cannot do.

Having the support of an available functional programming library makes
us for the first time more or less independent/unaffected of what
standard new features will or will not XPath/XSLT support.

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Tax Center - online filing with TurboTax
http://taxes.yahoo.com/

 XSL-List info and archive:  http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list


Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.