[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: XML/XSL on the client for dynamic UI

Subject: Re: XML/XSL on the client for dynamic UI
From: "Scott Sanders" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 19:03:03 -0700
xsl on the client
I think he was referring to the complex XSL logic...

Scott

----- Original Message -----
From: Kaganovich, Yevgeniy (Eugene) <ykaganovich@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 1999 6:03 PM
Subject: RE: XML/XSL on the client for dynamic UI


> Ken,
>
> Not sure if this is what you meant, but to expatiate on your point :
>
> Other than lack of complient browsers, I can see no good reason why the
end
> user should not have access to the semantic information of a document. If
> you want to keep information from being accessible, you should not
> distribute it in the first place, not just hide it within HTML. You can
use
> XSLT on your data to produce another XML document, containing appropriate
> ammount of information, and then serve it to the client along with a
> stylesheet. (I do hope no one has a problem with XML->XML transformations
> taking place on the server side :)
>
> BTW, just because you make it uncomfortable to extract semantic
information
> by putting it into HTML format, doesn't mean you make it impossible: tools
> like W4F (http://db.cis.upenn.edu/W4F/) seem very capable of getting it
out
> of HTML and back into the "righteous" form.
>
> - Y.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: disco [mailto:disco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 1999 5:14 PM
> To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: XML/XSL on the client for dynamic UI
>
>
> Mmm, I realized when I first heard the term "semantic firewall" yesterday
> that I had put my foot squarely in my mouth. You have a very good point,
> which I hadn't thought of at all before.
>
> ...which goes to show that "always" is a very loaded thing to say,
> especially when I'm just wrong :)
>
> Dan
>
> > But what if I need a semantic firewall ... something to either "protect"
> my
> > data, or to leverage my data into two kinds of product: one
semantic-less
> > or semantic-free to one set of clients, and one semantic-rich to
customers
>
> > willing to pay me more for that richness?
>
>
>  XSL-List info and archive:  http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list
>
>
>  XSL-List info and archive:  http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list
>


 XSL-List info and archive:  http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list


Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.