Re: XML on Gecko
"John E. Simpson" wrote: > > At 07:52 PM 3/31/99 +0200, Chris Lilley wrote: > >Yes, also both IE5 and Gecko support it (using CSS on XML documents) so, > >you can write one stylesheet and have it displayed, client-side, in both > >of those browsers and any others that support CSS and XML. > > One bitter disappointment in attempting to use CSS with either Gecko or IE5 > was that neither, apparently, supports generated text. Okay; I heard that the Mozilla developers were working on generated text (:before, :after, and numbering) but as you say, it isn't in the current builds. Thats where you can use XSL on the server side to make up the shortfall - add your generated text there, while keeping your original XML files. For example, you can do chapter, section, and subsection numbering in XSL, serving up some XML that is a numbered version of your original XML file. This lets you edit the original XML without having to fuss with renumbering when you add a section, and then use CSS to format and render the result. > That's a CSS2 feature yes; also, one of the last to settle down before CSS2 became a recommendation. Some of the other parts (like CSS Positioning) had been pretty stable as standalone working drafts for nearly a year before CSS2 became a recommendation. > (i.e., not CSS1, which itself isn't yet fully supported), also true, although the browsers are edging up to the 70% levels now. In terms of serving up Web pages today, that still gets you quite a lot (and feel free to mail your favourite browser vendor asking for the remaining 30%; feature prioritisation depends on customer feedback). Some of the buggy and quirky aspects are due to bugwards-compatible rendering hacks, designed to make current pages work at the expense of standards compliance; happily these only apply to HTML, so browsers tend to work better with CSS ad XML than they do with CSS and HTML. Of course, the combination of server-side XSL plus client-side CSS on XML is the real cracker. We are also finding that the CSS1 test suite has helped developers fine tune their implementations and get those percentages up. As I said, mailing vendors/implementors with specific requests for feature support, preferably citing a particular CSS1 test suite page that fails, is a good way to get that development prioritised. > so I > shouldn't have been too surprised. But it's such a useful feature that it > was a letdown not to have it. It is useful, I agree, and things will be better once it arrives. In the mean time, you can get the effect by using XSL transformations. -- Chris XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list
PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!
Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!
Download The World's Best XML IDE!
Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!
Subscribe in XML format