[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Constraining a Schema

• From: "Imsieke, Gerrit, le-tex" <gerrit.imsieke@le-tex.de>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 08:20:26 +0200

Re:  Constraining a Schema
Hi John,

As Eric van der Vlist writes, restricting existing schemas that lack fine-grained hooks for everything that possibly needs to be constrained in the future is harder than extending existing schemas:
http://books.xmlschemata.org/relaxng/relax-CHP-12-SECT-1.html#relax-CHP-12-SECT-1.3

If you don’t want to modify the base schema, Schematron is the established way to add an orthogonal layer of additional constraints.

Epischema is another, grammar-based approach, in which you simultaneously apply the liberal base schema and a sparse additional schema that only imposes the desired restrictions but otherwise permits any element or attribute:

https://www.xml.com/articles/2017/04/29/epischemas/
http://archive.xmlprague.cz/2017/files/presentations/epischema/

The examples have been delivered as Relax NG, but it should be possible at least in principle to implement them in XSD 1.1 where you can have sparse co-occurrence constraints through the new xs:any/@notQName attribute.

The main advantage of epischema over Schematron is better content completion that takes into account the additional restrictions – provided that the XML editor allows the association of multiple schemas and that it only suggests what is legal against all associated schemas in a given context. To my knowledge, oXygen XML editor, with the Relax NG schemas bundled into a single NVDL schema, is currently the only tool that supports this approach.

If constraint-compliant content completion is not an issue, or if XSD is the schema language of choice, I suggest an additional Schematron schema or programmatically (by means of XSLT) patching the base XSD in order to add grammatical constraints and/or xs:asserts.

Gerrit

On 15.08.2018 23:25, John Dziurlaj wrote:
I am working with a schema that is purposely lax (i.e. it may allow too many occurrences, may contain irrelevant elements, etc.) so that it can handle a broad range of customer scenarios. I now have a customer that wants to constrain the schema such that only a subset of the functionality is available. This subset is expected to validate against its larger parent. I’ve come up with a number of different approaches to handle this:

1. Subset schema using available XML tooling. A standalone derivative
will be produced.
2. Create a new schema, referencing the old one, but derive all the
types by restriction.
3. Use XML Assertions
4. Use Schematron
5. Use CAMV

My preference is to use a XML Schema native approach (1-3), using XSD 1.0 only constructs if possible (1-2), as the actual used XML processor that gets used is outside my control.

Does anyone have ideas on a good approach?

John Dziurlaj

Elections Consultant

Hilton Roscoe LLC
Cell 330-714-8935 Work/Fax 234-706-6434

--
Gerrit Imsieke
Geschäftsführer / Managing Director
le-tex publishing services GmbH
Weissenfelser Str. 84, 04229 Leipzig, Germany
Phone +49 341 355356 110, Fax +49 341 355356 510
gerrit.imsieke@le-tex.de, http://www.le-tex.de

Registergericht / Commercial Register: Amtsgericht Leipzig
Registernummer / Registration Number: HRB 24930

Geschäftsführer / Managing Directors:
Gerrit Imsieke, Svea Jelonek, Thomas Schmidt

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.