[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: use of JSON instead of XML

• To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 11:07:32 -0400

Re:  use of JSON instead of XML

On 28-Jun-18 12:12 PM, Ihe Onwuka wrote:

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 5:58 PM, Peter Flynn <peter@silmaril.ie> wrote:
On 26/06/18 17:16, Ian Graham wrote:
> This has been fun!

Best we've had in weeks :-)
> ................
>
> An XML list is not the best forum for obtaining that answer ;-}

Nor would a JSON forum :-)

We don't need to go to a JSON forum one because we know the answer.
I don't think a JSON forum would give us an answer any more than this one will.  I am also not convinced we know the answer, although I suspect I'm the minority opinion.
The argument was  XML is an over-engineered solution for the development of web apps and services - JSON is simpler and better fit for that task - we don't need all the complexity and power of the XML ecosystem for that.

Perfectly valid argument. 

Then they started applying JSON to more demanding domains that require namespacing and other complexities that are beyond the limited purview of a _javascript_ object but carried on  making the same (or similar) but now fallacious arguments and no-one wants to deal with the vilification that would ensue if they were called out on it.

So now presenting an alternative "for those more familiar with JSON" has entered into the lexicon as uncritical justification for contorting the semantics of a working complex data model into a syntax and representation that is not equipped to deal with it.

These are all reasonable arguments (in particular the first one), but IMO not proven. I wish there were an enthusiastic developer-turned-social scientist who wanted to use JSON vs. XML as case study for how teams make and evolve design decisions.  Of course then we wouldn't have this meme any more, which would be kinda sad ....

Ian

Ian Graham // <http://www.iangraham.org> 

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.