[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Converting schema to schematron

• To: yamahito <yamahito@gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 17:07:26 +1000

Re:  Converting schema to schematron
This was a tool my old company Topologi made for JSTOR, in part as an R&D project to explore the viability of the area (and becase JSTOR needed it).

So it was strictly limited to only implementing the things that JSTOR needed, and we also decided to only use XSLT 2 for it.  

The takeaways I got from it were:

1) The approach works, but it would require a deal more work (and testing) to be complete and correct.

2) XSD has many more edge cases than even I expected.  One of the our developers working on it  subequently got a PhD in software, and he really struggled with it.

3) It is difficult to structure and handle so many steps in a pipeline with XSLT.  There were lots of parts where a language with mutable tree would have been much more straightforward.

4) Schematron is fine for validating datatypes and derived types.

5) Schematron is fine for validating keys/IDs etc.

6) Schematron is fine for validating content model with no repeated .element names.  

7) Schematron can handle validating content models with the same element names in more than one position in a content model using regular expression string matching, but this gives less useful messages.

8) A complex content model was actually often the sign that grammars were not elegant to express the constraints.  Sometimes handwritten assertions could do a much better job at capturing the real constraint, rather than a verbose Schematron version of a verbose Content Model version of the constraints!

I cannot remember which parts we left unimplemented:  perhaps blocking and substitution groups?  Anyway, try it and see if it handles your cases.  That code is also looking for a maintainer, if you want a nice little project.

On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 3:07 AM, yamahito <yamahito@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I can find various references online to an open source (xslt?) conversion from schema to schematron, including one reference by Rick Jelliffe to an implementation on github.

However, I can't find it anywhere...

Does anyone know if there is such a tool available for use?

Thanks!
Tom 

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.