[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Seek your recommendation on content for a 3-day classon XM

• To: "Costello, Roger L." <costello@mitre.org>, xml-dev <xml-dev@l...>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 11:15:44 +0100 (CET)

Re:  Seek your recommendation on content for a 3-day classon XM
Hi Roger,

My two cents....

I have done a number of 3 day (hands-on) XML trainings over the past few years, ordered by companies, delivered inhouse.
Roughly I always had
1 day of general introduction, painting the landscape
1 day of XML processing (mostly XSLT)
1 day of XML schemata ( XSD or relaxNG depending on the audience, plus schematron)

That is not much, you touch on what they need to look deeper themselves

All of these trainings have been custom built after an intake conversation with the "customer"
There simply is no "general 3 days XML foundation class"
Companies hire me in for a training because they want to do something with XML.
I need to deliver the training that makes sure they are best armed for the tasks they have after I am gone.
Last year I trained a group of archivists from the national archive in some country, couple of months later I trained a group of developers from a harbor company dealing with shipping orders in another country
Completely different courses, entire set of different exercises and examples, only half of my material is reused over trainings,
and usually there are schemata or other material they will need to work with, I include these to make my points.
Every new delivery of three days takes me about 2 days of preparation because of the dynamics

Anyhow, I usually leave this book behind
http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTitle/Beginning-XML-5th-Edition.productCd-1118162137.html
you need to annotate it well, to indicate what is useful to the participants, 
but usually that book is well perceived by participants (make sure you have the latest edition!!)

What has changed in 10 years?
Well, technologies have evolved obviously, that you know,
but also most of the madness has gone.... companies do tend to use XML for what it is really useful,
they have found alternatives for the madness ;-)

For what it is worth

Geert

Van: "Eldrid Rensburg" <eldrid.rensburg@gmail.com>
Aan: "Costello, Roger L." <costello@m...>, "xml-dev" <xml-dev@l...>
Verzonden: Woensdag 22 februari 2017 22:50:04
Onderwerp: Re: Seek your recommendation on content for a 3-day class on XML foundations

Hi Roger

Re: XML Topics:

Assuming the professional engineers work for industrial company XYZ currently, the company’s XML business requirements may need to be taken into account - which may relate to Web Services, SOA, etc.

And on another academic (if any) requirement note: perhaps XML’s mathematical side could be explored ? …

Regards
Eldrid

On 2017/02/22 11:30 PM, Costello, Roger L. wrote:

Hi Folks,

I will be teaching a 3-day class – 7 hours training per day – at my company on XML foundations.

By “XML foundations” I don’t mean to imply that the course is exclusively on XML. I can cover other XML-related technologies.

The class will be a combination of lectures and hands-on lab exercises.

The students are professional engineers and have no familiarity with XML. Possibly they have some familiarity with HTML.

Questions:

1. What topics should I cover?

2. What are the key points that the students should take away?

3. Suppose I was teaching this class 10 years ago. How should today’s class differ from the class of 10 years ago?

/Roger

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.