[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: The XML abstraction leaks

• To: "Costello, Roger L." <costello@mitre.org>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 22:17:05 +0100

Re:  The XML abstraction leaks
Sorry, but I don't see any sense in which XML can be considered an abstraction. It's very concrete and physical. It hides nothing.

The XDM, by constrast, is an abstraction. 

Michael Kay
Saxonica

On 11 Aug 2016, at 21:50, Costello, Roger L. <costello@mitre.org> wrote:

Thank you David and Michael. I would like to follow up please.

I really am fascinated by the topic of abstractions and leaky abstractions. I hope that lots of people will pitch in with their thoughts and opinions on this topic.

1. What is “the XML abstraction”? I said that it is this:

An XML document contains data and the data
               is surrounded (delimited) by markers. More
               concretely, an XML document contains pairs
               of start-tags and end-tags, sandwiched between
               them is character data and possibly other
               start-tag, end-tag pairs.

Do you agree that that is the XML abstraction? If not, would you provide your definition of “the XML abstraction” please?

2. What is a “leaky abstraction”? From reading  Joel Spolsky’s article as well as Peter Seibel’s description [1] I have arrived at this definition:

The XML abstraction leaks when users must
               understand to some extent how software that
               implements the XML abstraction—the XML
               processor—works internally.

Do you agree with that? If not, would you provide your definition of what it means for the XML abstraction to leak please?

3. Would you identify a leak in the XML abstraction please?

/Roger

[1] Peter Seibel has a wonderful discussion of leaky abstractions in his book, Practical Common Lisp. He gives an awesome example of a user-defined function (abstraction) that leaks.

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.