[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: What is the general direction you are seeing these daysto

• To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 17:06:13 -0500

Re:  What is the general direction you are seeing these daysto
Yes, unless there is a need to forward on the XML to some other endpoint I can't really see why it would need to stay as XML?  Roger says his data has shallow structure so just Casandra may suffice.  Pure relational seems expensive for the volumes he has, though as normalized data the real volumes may be significantly smaller. If you need to keep some sense of the original structure and, in particular, if the document has deep structure then a graph database is the way to go. I mentioned Titan, you mention Neo4J. Personally, I have always wanted to link Cassandra with Titan directly in a low level hybrid model but now that Aurelius has been acquired by DataStax that may be unnecessary;they are hinting they will do that.  That, IMO, could prove to be the ultimate in flexible, scalable databases for which is why I lean towards Titan these days....

In any case, the real question is what's the real end use for all this data?  Roger says it get's pulled into SAS and SPSS which suggests some form of further analytics.  Again, that suggests to me that pulling this into something like Titan and using Faunus on Hadoop to get the end analytics directly might be the overall best solution to the entire problem.

Peter Hunsberger

On Sun, Mar 8, 2015 at 2:37 PM, Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:

On 03/07/2015 09:05 PM, Liam R. E. Quin wrote:
On Sat, 2015-03-07 at 17:03 -0500, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
On 03/05/2015 11:20 AM, Peter Hunsberger wrote:
Without knowing all the details, given relatively unchanging I'd
likely send up parsing them into a database.

Yep - this is the answer I keep hearing from people, with the
exception of people who have mixed content and tend to think of it
all as documents.

Peter didn't say relational database... although he did mention Hadoop
I think.

There isn't a single right answer.

I agree.  I'm not hearing so much about relational databases per se as I am about shredding approaches, with data stored in anything from MySQL to Cassandra to Neo4j to custom systems that sound both terrifying and unnecessary.

Somehow mixed content leads people to think of chunks as coherent pieces, and some of the shredding cases I've discussed with people keep large pieces of mixed content, typically (X)HTML, in the same shredded bit rather tearing deeper into it.

So for Roger I'd say that I think the direction I see is more hybrid
stores (from Virtuoso to MarkLogic..) and more variation being
acceptable as people come to recognize that different needs are best
served with different technologies.

Yep.  I suspect the underlying reality is that people are doing so many things with so many different kinds of parts that solutions are evolving in multiple directions.

Which is pretty cool, actually!  Though it creates vast confusion for organizations that just want an answer yesterday.

Thanks,
Simon

XML-DEV is a publicly archived, unmoderated list hosted by OASIS
to support XML implementation and development. To minimize
spam in the archives, you must subscribe before posting.

[Un]Subscribe/change address: http://www.oasis-open.org/mlmanage/
Or unsubscribe: xml-dev-unsubscribe@lists.xml.org
subscribe: xml-dev-subscribe@lists.xml.org
List archive: http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/
List Guidelines: http://www.oasis-open.org/maillists/guidelines.php

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.