[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: the challenges of 'extensible'

• To: "xml-dev@lists.xml.org" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 15:24:37 -0400

Re:  the challenges of 'extensible'
On 04/12/2014 06:16 PM, Michael Sokolov wrote:
Thanks for that, Simon

On 4/11/2014 9:16 AM, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
(Also, at this point I think most search engines are still treating
HTML as annotated text, though I hear rumors of DOM-building.)

I had heard they were doing at least some rendering in order to deal
with the problem of invisible text spam (text rendered in white or tiny
fonts or using some other trick to make it invisible to readers, and
intended primarily to deceive the search engine). Maybe that doesn't
require a DOM, but at the very least it requires knowing how to apply
CSS to the elements,
It's been a very long time since I talked about this with anyone who might know, but long ago the key was CSS selectors. There was some processing of the stylesheet to look for problems. Then the search engine watched for matches of those selectors as it read the documents. No detailed tree building, but tracing that flagged common problems.

and when you let Javascript in the mix, you pretty
well have to create a DOM to operate on.
Given what they'll be testing, yes, they'll likely need a classic DOM, like Phantom.js provides. Fortunately for search engine managers, the price of memory has declined a lot since that at least decade-old conversation.

Thanks,
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.