[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Re: XML As Fall Guy

• To: Stephen Cameron <steve.cameron.62@gmail.com>, Peter Hunsberger <peter.hunsberger@g...>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 08:20:06 -0500

Re:  Re: XML As Fall Guy
On 12/3/2013 8:35 PM, Stephen Cameron wrote:
Hi Peter, you are lucky 100th posting on this thread.

However what you say is ringing alarm bells for me.

To me using the word 'architecture' is misleading, Frank Lloyd-Wright is one architect that famously never consulted with his clients, he just gave them a design and asked for payment, as a result many of his houses are actually bad to live-in, though visually charming (to me).

In my view, the only 'architecture' in software is the structure that you build into your software, either in terms of your classes using object-oriented programming, the modules in procedural, or the entities of your data-model.
Steve, I share your apprehension, but there is a component of planning and building software I think of as architecture that is not business analysis. It relates to layering: some components are more fundamental: making changes in those can lead to seismic shifts throughout the system, while surface (UI) changes tend to be more isolated. Certainly new user requirements will lead to new data requirements, new fields, tags, whatever, but if you decide to change your database system from Oracle to MarkLogic (or vice-versa, heresy here I know), that to me is an architectural decision. It may require you to rewrite significant portions of your code, or switch in other related components. And these decisions can often be made in parallel with - only partially informed by - business requirements. This sort of decision is best made by considering technical suitability to the problem, team skills, and goodness of fit with existing tools and systems. Sometimes (often) however the decision is driven by business leaders or outside sales teams based on dubious grounds.

-Mike

PS
My title is (senior) architect, but I don't do business analyst: in sorrier moments I think I got called that because I'm old for a programmer, more or less. I sincerely hope this line of argument is motivated by more than mere self-justification!

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.