[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Parsing XML with anything but

• To: ihe.onwuka@gmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 13:00:52 -0500

Re:  Parsing XML with anything but

Well that comes back to what I always come back to on this list. XML is to complicated, and that complication necessarily manifests itself in fully compliant tools.  Developers have come to hate XML and just want to crowbar, chisel and scrape it as quickly as possible into a structure that they can actually understand, using a tool that seems to hate XML as much as they do.

I wanted to know whether there was anything more to it than this. The same set of people that will decry parentheses in Scheme or angled bracketed markup will happily type in hieroglyphics at a mongodb shell prompt without a murmur of protest. So it's not based on rationality then.
No there is more to it than mere angle brackets.  I plowed into this in 1998 with a perl regexp based parser and it took me years to find out I had ignored things people expected to work in XML. Entity replacement via DTD is probably the most obvious (and other arcane DTD transformations like applying namespaces), but also whitespace normalization in attributes, line ending normalization, etc, and there are probably other things I forgot or never learned about, not being a parser writer, really, but which eventually will trip you up if you go about it on your own.

-Mike

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.