[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Parsing XML with anything but

• To: Uche Ogbuji <uche@ogbuji.net>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 18:01:06 +0000

Re:  Parsing XML with anything but

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Ihe Onwuka <ihe.onwuka@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Uche Ogbuji <uche@ogbuji.net> wrote:

I'd rather ask: why on earth would anyone suffer through XSLT if they had Haskell? HaXml is actually a very respectable parser and toolkit.

Also I think you're mixing up two issues. TagSoup and BeautifulSoup were both designed for parsing what passes for HTML on the Web, and not for XML. With all respect to Mike Kay, his tools won't directly help you there.

But thanks to tagsoup his tools help me indirectly at a price that I consider as good as free. I believe the same mechanism is behind the saxon:parse-html extension. 

Compared against the hoops people are prepared to jump through to make data SQLizable, filtering HTML through Tagsoup  firmly sits in the column labelled trivial. So much so that I regard  HTML is for all intents parseable by X(SLT|Query).

Sure people do use them for processing XML sometimes, and not just XHTML. Well, people also use regexen for doing so. I personally use grep on XML almost as much as I do the compliant parsers that I myself have worked on.

My concern with regexp solutions would be robustness, extensibility and readability so I would never do it. On the occasion I used regexp's within an XSLT conversion to upConvert text and then had to amend it 8 months later I spent days eyeballing it to try and get a handle so I could amend it. Why did I have to amend it. Because it was extensible enough to handle variations of the input it was tested with

Because it WASN'T extensible enough etc.........

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.