[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: The universality of "single starting point"

• To: Steve Newcomb <srn@coolheads.com>, "xml-dev@l..." <xml-dev@l...>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 20:53:50 +0000 (GMT)

Re:  The universality of "single starting point"
Steve Newcomb wrote:
"(4) But... nothing can be grasped from a single perspective.
Understanding that no matter where we stand, things look different from
other positions, is the beginning of wisdom.  Maybe that's why I find
Topic Maps so appealing.  I'm impatient with single-perspective information."
Steve,

forgive me a very emotional response to your posting.
(1) Today was an exceptionally foggy day in Aachen, Germany. Rarely has so little light penetrated the day.
(2) Never before like today have I felt so acutely aware of the arbitrariness of XML, its hierarchical order of presentation, which, at the same time, seems so precious to me, human, intuitive, time-honoured. My thought experiment: a store, its departments, their items, each item with a "best before date" - in that order, clear and intuititive as in a text book. But another perspective might be: dates, for each date the things with a matching "best before date", and for each thing the department. Complete reversal dictated by changed perspective, yet equivalent semantics - the same information, rearranged. This plain of semantics is not inherent in XDM, XML's model of information content; and it reminds me of RDF triples. So I wondered - can the information content of XML be decomposed into smaller pieces, so as to reveal the equivalence of information in spite of different information content on the XDM plain? So I wondered...
(3) ... opened my notebook, saw the new thread and read your posting. How could you so well summarize the glimpse which this foggy day gave me: "impatient with single-perspective information".
(4) Probably we all know the rare moments when everything seems to be connected in a strange way. When everything might be a dance in which approaching & retreating are one and constantly occurring and entwined.

Hans-Juergen

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.