[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: What Is XML ? WAS : RE: [OT] Re: Lesson

• To: "xml-dev@lists.xml.org" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 11:35:58 -0500

Re:  What Is XML ? WAS : RE:  [OT] Re: Lesson
On 11/17/13 10:38 AM, David Lee wrote:
<duck serious arrows and flame throwers>

So to avoid the arrow holes and charred skin ... maybe its useful to use
a different term then "XML" for #2 ... I dont know what that might be.

To this day I think  Physics suffers from using the word "particles"
well after we discovered they weren't tiny balls of solid rock.

In the case of Physics the  term has evolved to take on the meaning of
whatever the latest thingy we want ...

In the case of XML ... the term seems stuck with the spec definition
even though its used in a much wider context ... like say "Coke"

For precision Thats probably a good thing, but for communication of
ideas I suggest it is not.
This is a good idea. I've wondered for a while when the next phase transition would come along - first SGML -> XML, then XML -> ????.

I see some good hints in MicroXML and FtanML in particular, but it's probably time or past it. I don't think there will be quite the same uptake. XML benefited simply from saying "these things are actually possible" at a time when that was still a surprise.

Still, it makes good sense to me. (As I already noted, I avoid talking about XML specifically in my own markup conversations unless there's good reason to bring it up.)

Thanks,
--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.