[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: How to design XML to have broad utility and yet alsoenable

• To: Rick Jelliffe <rjelliffe@allette.com.au>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 22:41:35 -0500

Re:  How to design XML to have broad utility and yet alsoenable
On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 10:06 PM, Rick Jelliffe <rjelliffe@allette.com.au> wrote:

John will certainly remember the old-school data sgml modelers, who said "just model the data", i.e. ignore any usage or application constraints.

Actually, I knew zip about markup until 1998.  I just pretend to be an old fart in this community. 

But i think the onus needs to be on content architects who develop new intermediate formats to demonstrate that it represent the shortest distance between the inputs and outputs. (Or has some other hard non-theoretical benefit otherwise.) 

Well, the obvious one is that of being a bus format, so that instead of N * M conversions in your enterprise, you need only N + M.  In that case, the format may be *completely* different from any of the inputs or outputs, as it needs to be comprehensive for all of them (and others as yet unthought-of). 

(I was sacked from a job once for suggesting that extended html would suffice, in the 90s.)

I whispered that more quietly and smiled when I said it, so I kept my job.  Sometimes, people use <quote> and <para> and <emph> just so nobody can say they're doing HTML. 

When I was doing sales engineering in an earlier life, I ran onto this on the client side.

Client: We want an XML feed.
Me: Our HTML feed is well-formed XML, so you can just use that.
Client:  No, no, you don't understand.  It has to be an *XML* feed.
Me: It *is* an XML feed.
Client:  ...
Me: ....

--
GMail doesn't have rotating .sigs, but you can see mine at http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/signatures

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.