[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Has Roger's Brain Been Altered?

• To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 10:20:42 -0600

Has Roger's Brain Been Altered?
That's what you get for asking questions, Roger. Feed back alters systems. The question is your brain now well-formed or chaotic may be appropriate. Global feedback to local systems is noisy. Local feedback to global systems can be very useful. Internationalization starts more wars than localization.

"The trouble with this kind of thinking (i.e. that we should minimize
input/output distance in our schemas) is that it leads to conclusions that
are unpalatable for some: in particular, if html/rss are the main output
formats, it encourages the back propagation of html-isms. (I was sacked
from a job once for suggesting that extended html would suffice, in the
90s.) The design issue gets resolves itself to 'how can we extend html with
our more semantic markup?" At which stage the lack of power of dtds and
xsd, e.g to have content models keyed by attribute values rather than just generic identifiers, brings people to a grim stop."

Sometimes PDF is the main output format. More and more in my work, that is the case. It turns out that full-up-does-anything hypermedia isn't that useful Off The Web.

As I read these threads, I'm starting to love this FOSI. Between the ability to extend the S1000D schemas at will and make the FOSI carry the water for the target format, most things "just work". Then do the nasty bits (say forms) in the PDF. It Just Works. Will it work in the blind? Heavens no. Almost nothing does. Some works better than others but by keeping the application space local and well-specified, some work precisely as designed.

The horrors described in these threads such as namespaces have more to do with trying to make one ring rule them all: HTML and THE Web.

And lads this is like the surveillance debacle: you were warned. :)

len

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.