[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: [OT] Re: Lessons learned from the XML experiment

• To: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>, David Sheets <kosmo.zb@g...>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 22:54:09 +0000 (GMT)

Re:  [OT] Re:  Lessons learned from the XML experiment
Michael Kay wrote:
"We have a tradition on this list of showing each other respect, and I think you fell short of that standard in your response to Uche."

Frankly, I am annoyed at this criticsm, because nobody likes to be treated in a cat & mouse fashion & receive responses riddles with little provocations - so if you feel entitled to hold up the yellow card to one of the too, you definitely should hold it up to both - or to none. The standard is to me absolutely essential, but it refers not only to the obvious fouls. The standard means that we take each other seriously.

Hans-Juergen

Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> schrieb am 18:32 Freitag, 15.November 2013:
>
> Further, you made the claim that "XML is not designed for nodes". If
> you are unwilling to defend this claim, it, too, must be rejected.
>

No, let's be quite clear. You, David, made the claim that XML is designed for nodes, and Uche rejected that claim. The onus is on you to prove your claim, not the other way around.

I don't know exactly what "designed for nodes" means, but it suggests to me an idea that the designers of XML had tree-based data models firmly in mind as an influencing factor during the design process.

It's always difficult to discover what designers were thinking when they produced a specification, but with XML it's easier than usual because

(a) the specification contains a list of design goals, (section 1.1) and

(b) one of the authors of the specification, Tim Bray, produced an annotated edition here:

http://www.xml.com/axml/testaxml.htm

Now, in the list of goals, the closest we come to any mention of a data model is the goal "It shall be easy to write programs which process XML documents"; but Tim Bray's gloss on this statement makes it clear they were thinking that it should be easy to write an XML parser. So there is absolutely nothing in the spec about the ease of writing XML-consuming applications. Which is a rather remarkable omission, and puts XML in very stark contrast to JSON.

Similarly, in the annotated specification, mentions of trees, nodes, and data models are conspicuous by their absence.

Now I think we can confidently say that the designers of XML were well aware of the possibility of modelling a document as a tree of nodes; we must therefore assume that the absence of any mention of such a model is deliberate. Perhaps the designers had a tree model at the back of their minds and felt it could be added later, but that would be speculation; all the evidence is that they consciously decided data models were out of scope. Which in my view is unfortunate, but that's not the point.

We have a tradition on this list of showing each other respect, and I think you fell short of that standard in your response to Uche.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

XML-DEV is a publicly archived, unmoderated list hosted by OASIS
to support XML implementation and development. To minimize
spam in the archives, you must subscribe before posting.

[Un]Subscribe/change address: http://www.oasis-open.org/mlmanage/
Or unsubscribe: xml-dev-unsubscribe@lists.xml.org
subscribe: xml-dev-subscribe@l...
List archive: http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/
List Guidelines: http://www.oasis-open.org/maillists/guidelines.php

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.