[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: Topics of keen interest to me ... how about you?

• To: Len Bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>, 'Peter Hunsberger'<peter.hunsberger@g...>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 23:28:20 +0000

RE:  Topics of keen interest to me ... how about you?

I have a hard time comprehending ... could you confirm I got the point please

You are saying (greatly simplified)

If you know what your data looks like at app build time then a hard-coded GUI is better.

If you dont know what your data looks like at app build time then a data-driven GUI is better.

Is that the idea ?

----------------------------------------

David A. Lee

dlee@calldei.com

http://www.xmlsh.org

Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:20 PM
To: David Lee; 'Peter Hunsberger'
Cc: 'Costello, Roger L.'; 'xml-dev OASIS'
Subject: RE: Topics of keen interest to me ... how about you?

Data-driven models work nicely for plotted events.  IOW, if you are feeding data to a model across a process, as long as you understand the event space, you can control that model.   The problem of GUI-as-BoxesOnAScreen is most of the states are static or enumerated and data driving it where the drivers are HUI inputs to machine interfaces even if gesturally rich is objective impoverished.  The model of finding resources and acting on them is basic, thus REST.  Almost all of the richness comes from domain specific-events and conditions.

Data driving comes into its own when you drive the model against a dynamic event framework that is outward facing, e.g., a mission environment with waypoints.  Then everything is a sensor and everything else is a data resource be it internal or environmental.

len

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2013 10:25 AM
To: Peter Hunsberger; Bill Kearney
Cc: Costello, Roger L.; xml-dev OASIS
Subject: RE: Topics of keen interest to me ... how about you?

> peter says

I find it interesting that "data driven" can someone how be viewed as in opposition from giving the user a better UI.  In the end, the metadata that should be used to build user interfaces is still data and exposing that as early and directly as possible and giving the users ways to manipulate that data is the best way to build a powerful user interface.  Exposing it directly as XML is probably not part of that scenario, but XSLT on top of XML can be directly below the layer that is exposed to the user and is very flexible and powerful.

>

I come from a long history of being pulled into doing UI when I wasnt really good at it

(20+ years ... think X10, DOS ... and on through all incarnations of Windows, Mac, Devices , Palm, PPC, BlackBerry, iOS .... )

"Data Driven" GUI has always been a holy grail.  In some closed systems it succeed quite well ... especially when the expectations

of the users were modest and the computer capabilities were equally modest.

But as time advances I find the concept on less solid grounds then my liking.  I spent a day at Balisage Pre-conference hoping that

what I didn't know about XForms would enlighten and endear me to the concept.   I am afraid it did not.

I simply have not seen how a data driven UI ( unless that data is presentation oriented +  program code) can achieve what "ordinary users"

expect out of a "normal UI".    There are certainly a lot of cases where the UI can meet the minimum standards, and balanced against the problem of multi devices and variety of input is a good tradeoff.  But when you hit the bounds of "application" where users expect that it was

actually written for them ... and where the function and display (the whole UX)  is more than filling out form fields or showing some tables,

to me, I have not seen a "Data Driven UI" that meets that expectation - unless you constrain the space very tightly.  That is you create a very good UI framework then plug in the data driven stuff to fit it.  But I have used many such things and while they work well within their box, if you push up against the edges they fail miserably.

I would love to have someone show me the Holy Grail ... I still think it might be out there, but have not found it myself.

----------------------------------------

David A. Lee

dlee@calldei.com

http://www.xmlsh.org

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.