[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Topics of keen interest to me ... how about you?

• To: John Cowan <johnwcowan@gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 23:54:36 +0100

Re:  Topics of keen interest to me ... how about you?

The problem with phones is the assignment of arbitrary digit strings rather than meaningful letter strings.  That was not significantly technology-bound.

It's not clear to me that communication and use of email addresses works significantly better than communication and use of phone numbers. I don't have any data, but I would say in my experience if you read someone a phone number it is more likely to be transcribed accurately than if you read them an email address. That's probably because there is less scope for mishearing the names of digits than the names of English letters; and phonetic alphabets have never caught on among the general population.

The other issue here is standards. Until the mobile phone era, different countries used different mappings of letters to numbers when using letters in phone "numbers". That's why the UK abandoned them (in the 1970s, I believe). Through most of the 80s and 90s, when US companies published alphabetic phone "numbers", non-US callers had to perform a convoluted translation back to digits. Only in the US is international traffic so insignificant that such a situation is tolerable.

Paradoxically, though, the UK then adopted alphanumeric postal codes while the US uses numeric codes.

In all of this, if you are claiming usability benefits, you need to say what your metrics are. Ability to recall numbers? Ability to dial numbers accurately? Ability to communicate numbers accurately, e.g. looking them up in a phone book? Efficiency or effectiveness? You also need to define the users you are targeting: the average, the old, the disabled?

Michael Kay
Saxonica

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.