[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: Fwd: Not using mixed content? Then don't use XML

• To: "'Peter Ring'" <peter.ring@texo.dk>, <xml-dev@l...>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 21:36:25 -0500

RE: Fwd:  Not using mixed content? Then don't use XML

Ghosts don’t speak unless spoken to.

Schemas/DTDs shine in environments where the generators are humans who are lazy, forgetful and/or badly trained.  At my last job of the 12 people working for me, only 1 could read a DTD and all claimed to be XML experts in an application with a large and well-crafted DTD.  Being the only other person on the hall who could, it was in no way job security nor did it broker data goodness.   They doggedly tagged 1500 work packages to the wrong part of the tree because the style sheet didn’t care, the customer didn’t look, and the files validated and ran in the system they were targeted to.

Contracts have to care.  If they don’t then the humans won’t.

len

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2013 6:17 PM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Not using mixed content? Then don't use XML

How come Len Bullard doesn't kick in? This is so much about control.

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 12:48 AM, Michael Sokolov <msokolov@safaribooksonline.com> wrote:

On 4/9/13 5:20 PM, Simon St.Laurent wrote:

On 4/9/13 5:16 PM, Toby Considine wrote:

Sorry

WS-Interoperability.

Originally an industry consortium, no an OASIS specification

That was what I was afraid of.  WS-*, aka the Death Star, was pretty much the ultimate purveyor of the worst practices that schemas encourage.

I would prefer to take guidance from other quarters.

Thanks,

Might be interesting as a straw man.  I only became aware of this piece of work at its tail end (years after any attempt at standardization was abandoned, I think), when I guided some agonized engineers through an implementation of a soap service in perl that was supposed to provide services to a Microsoft .NET consumer: these two software packages used completely antagonistic approaches, as far as I could tell.  The "standards" were worse than useless; they should have been called web services inoperability.  There are at least two, maybe three completely different interpretations of the SOAP vocabulary based on fundamentally different conceptions of how to deliver web services, all masquerading under the same heading of WS-I.  There are layers of incomprehensible service endpoint babbledygook that makes reading the actual markup nearly impossible: it might as well be a binary format for all the benefit one gets from XML in this arena. The current situation is that the only rational way to use SOAP is to use two endpoints from the same provider, and never ever to look under the covers at the XML that is being generated for you.  At least that's how it seemed to me as an infrequent user - I don't claim to be an expert.  This particular piece of software is the tar baby of our organization - touch it at your peril.

I'm sure this is old news for many of you (or else it's a sore spot and I've just completely offended you), but it might be interesting, Simon, to explore the part that schema-oriented thinking played in this?  Or perhaps it was just a case of a poorly-run committee, and no other inferences can be drawn, I don't know.  I wonder though if this isn't actually the dark well from which a lot of anti-XML sentiment springs.  It's clearly in the web service transport layer that JSON really seems to shine, with its low-impedance match to programming language data structures, and its lack of impenetrable non-standard standards.

-Mike

XML-DEV is a publicly archived, unmoderated list hosted by OASIS
to support XML implementation and development. To minimize
spam in the archives, you must subscribe before posting.

[Un]Subscribe/change address: http://www.oasis-open.org/mlmanage/
Or unsubscribe: xml-dev-unsubscribe@lists.xml.org
subscribe: xml-dev-subscribe@lists.xml.org
List archive: http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/
List Guidelines: http://www.oasis-open.org/maillists/guidelines.php

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.