[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Proposal: a building block approach to XML design

• To: "xml-dev@lists.xml.org" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 17:00:24 +0000

Proposal: a building block approach to XML design
Hi Folks,

Remember Legos? It consisted of a bunch of building blocks that could be assembled in any number of ways. There was virtually an infinite number of things could be created.

Let's create XML Schemas in an analogous fashion; that is, let's create a set of small components that can be assembled in any number of ways. Let's specify the rules for assembling the components.

EXAMPLE

Suppose my inventory consists of books, bicycles, and watches. 

So I create an XML Schema for books, another for bicycles, and another for watches.

I deploy a web service that allows users to obtain book XML documents, bicycle XML documents, and watch XML documents.

However, I am not following the Lego pattern. I merely have a collection of pre-assembled components.

That's limited and limiting. No power. No diversity. No ability to generate dazzling complexity. Boring.

Conversely, if I had a set of building blocks (and assembly rules) then I could do this: 

Assemble a handle bar with a watch.

That can't be done with my current schemas. Why? One reason is that there are no assembly rules. Need assembly rules. Legos has assembly rules: you can stack one Lego block on top of another but you can't assemble them side-by-side.

Add another building block:

Assemble a handle bar with a watch and add a book component.

That assembly is getting interesting. Perhaps now I can create XML documents of bicycles that have a watch and can hold a book. Ha! Such a bike design would be perfect for a health club.

What's required of this Lego approach to XML design? 

(1) Need to identify an appropriate set of building blocks. 

(2) Need to specify the rules for assembling the building blocks.

Let's create complexity-generating XML Schemas (and RELAX NG schemas); let's create simple rules that enables dazzling innovation.

Thoughts?

/Roger

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.