[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Is "visible" a part of the data? Toward the day when the data isthe pro

• To: "xml-dev@lists.xml.org" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 14:33:58 +0000

Is "visible" a part of the data?  Toward the day when the data isthe pro
Hi Folks,

I am creating the architectural plan of a building.

At the appropriate time I will make my plan visible for others to see.

Should my plan contain data that indicates whether it is visible?

visible :: (yes | no)

I am thinking that my architectural plan document should contain "visible" data.

In this message I will attempt to persuade you that my plan should contain "visible" data.

Here's my argument:

Case #1

Let's first consider the case where my plan does not contain "visible" data.

Then there must be some mechanism (perhaps a software program) that, at the appropriate time, makes the plan visible.

That mechanism is in control -- it controls the visibility of my architectural plan.

To put it another way, the mechanism controls the data.

I assert that that is the opposite to what is desired. What is desired is for the data to control the mechanism. Even better, the data is the mechanism.

Case #2

Let's now consider the case where my architectural plan document does contain "visible" data.

At the appropriate time "visible" is changed to the value "yes." Once that happens my architectural plan is visible for others to see.

"Hmm, how did your plan become visible?" you ask.

There are ways to accomplish this using today's technology: there may be a software program that regularly inspects "visible" in my architecture plan document; once the software program detects that "visible" has the value "yes" then the program moves the document into a folder that is viewable by others.

Using today's technology there is a distinct separation between the data and the program: 

A program processes the data.

I assert that in the (near) future there will be no separation between the data and the program: 

The data is the program. When the data changes, the world changes.

Thus, once "visible" is changed to "yes" my architectural plan is visible.

This probably sounds like hocus pocus, but there is a more fundamental issue underlying. 

The issue is one of control.

In the first case, where there is no "visible" data, the program is entirely in control. There is no change in visibility of my architectural plan document unless and until the program does something.

In the second case, where there is "visible" data, the architectural plan document is entirely in control. There is no change in visibility of my architectural plan document unless and until the data changes.

That is a huge difference.

------

Okay, that's my argument. 

Have I persuaded you that "visible" should be part of my architectural plan document? If not, what is my argument missing, where has my argument run astray?

/Roger

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.