[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

text nodes of document in XDM

• To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 22:17:19 -0500

text nodes of document in XDM

Thanks vastly to Hans-Juergen Rennau (hrennau@yahoo.de), I've been re-animating my proposal for an XDM Serialization specification (http://xml.calldei.com/XDMSerialize) which can accommodate much more round-trip data preservation then the

current XDM Serialization specification (http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt-xquery-serialization/ )

Please be patient with the draft if you care to read it, it’s a work-in-progress not really ready for public consumption (but by putting it on a wiki allows easier collaboration then emails).

Maybe "Really Soon Now" but not now yet …

One thing I am stuck on currently is serializing XDM document-node() which contain text children.

I can certainly imagine a format,  but I'm more curious as to the rationale.  

Q) Why does XDM allow text() children of document nodes, and in fact allow multiple element children of document nodes (If I read it right …)

For example in XQuery this is allowed

document { text { "text" } , <elem1/> , text { "text2" } , <elem2/> }

I'm wondering what is the use-case that led to this ?

My best "clue" is a recent question/response on xslt-list which made it clear to me that <xsl:variable> produced a document node, but it could contain parentless text nodes

I certainly understand the desire for XDM to allow parentless text, element, and attribute nodes …

but I don’t understand the use case for document nodes containing text and multiple element nodes …

Am I correct in presuming this is to support XSLT 1.0 (and perhaps by inference XQuery 1.0 ) which allowed this ?
Is it a chicken&egg problem ?

What is the rationale for allowing document nodes to contain children which are not parseable from Text XML ?

Is this a critical feature to maintain in a round-trip XDM serialization specification ?  ( Yes I realize I'm asking for an opinion not an objective fact).

Thanks for any advice, opinions, or historical anecdotes.

-David

----------------------------------------

David A. Lee

dlee@c...

http://www.xmlsh.org

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.