[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Fixing what's broke

• To: Pete Cordell <petexmldev@codalogic.com>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 14:45:24 +0000

Re:  Fixing what's broke
Pete Cordell wrote:
> When I was first introduced to XML, very much with a data-oriented hat on where you have lots of small values, my initial response to seeing something like:
> 
> <trajectory:initialVelocityVarianceCoefficient>1</trajectory:initialVelocityVarianceCoefficient>
> 
> was "are you kidding?  Next...".

This is contrived, however. I have no idea what the ordinary usage term would be for this *in the pertinent domain*, however let us suppose that it is "IVVC". Note that abbreviating to an acronym here doesn't take away any of the readability or third-party semantics here, since there is very little of either in the first place (I'm not a physicist and I have no idea what "initial velocity variance coefficient" actually means, and I doubt many others do either). The point is that in the domain identified by the schema, workers in that field will have a very clear idea of what "IVVC" means, especially since it is nicely commented in the schema. It's the *normal case* for people to refer to verbosely named domain artifacts using acronyms. Likewise, we don't choose excessively verbose namespace prefixes since they're just a prefix and all we really need to do is disambiguate them from other namespace prefixes in the document. So let's choose a rather more reasonable prefix "t" for the trajectory schema. This results in something like

<doc xmlns:t='http://weaponsofmassdestruction.com/missiles/trajectory'>
 <t:ivvc>1</t:ivvc>

You see this all the time, it works and I don't see that there's anything broken about it.

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.