[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Marketplace XML Vocabularies

• To: "Costello, Roger L." <costello@mitre.org>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 14:53:24 -0500

Re:  Marketplace XML Vocabularies
IMHO this discussion is confusing because it equates two distinct things.  Vocabularies and Processing.
Example you say

"Assertion: an XML vocabulary that has aspirations of ending up in the marketplace must be described by a specification that provides both meaning and effect. Do you agree? "

I think this is misleading.  The vocabularies themselves typically do not "end up in the marketplace" but rather tools that make use of vocabularies do.
XSLT as a vocabulary is not something that is sold, but an XSLT Processor is.
There is cases where designers are paid to create vocabularies, but I would assert that a vocabulary itself is typically not marketed, even if proprietary or commercial.

So this is mixing "vocabulary" with "processor" while they are different things.

The other confusion is the assertion that vocabularies are intended for a particular processor.
This is not universally true.  Some (many?) vocabularies are intended to represent data or content but themselves have absolutely no aspirations of processing or presentation.

Your example of <Author> is a good one.   It would depend in what greater vocabulary this resides as if it is intended to have any "effect".
If <Author> is in a BOOK vocabulary stored in a database it may not ever have any "effect".  It could be pure data there for the searching.
Many XML vocabularies are of this sort where the primary purpose is to describe data, not presentation.

Does this become "in the marketplace" ?
I think a good example of this is HL7v3.   This is a large and complex vocabulary.   However it is not necessarily intended to have an "effect", or atleast not a single "effect".    (there are portions which describe messaging but overall this is a Document vocabulary without a specific presentation defined).
But processors that consume and produce HL7v3 data indeed are "in the marketplace".

How come ? Because it is useful to have a common interchange format for clinical encounter data even without specifying exactly how it is presented or what the "effect" is.

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com  
http://www.calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org
812-482-5224

Costello, Roger L. wrote:
9E51F88D5247B648908850C35A3BBB50040DD495CE@IMCMBX3.MITRE.ORG" type="cite">

Awesome message Ken. Thanks!

Actually, a processor is required to produce the end result *as if* 
it had implemented the described behavior.  It is not required to 
behave as described in the specification.  It is a subtle but 
important distinction

I like it! A specification describes the end results of processing elements, i.e., it's an effects-based description.

So, I would say that XML vocabularies only describe meaning and not 
behavior. 

Shouldn't a specification of an XML vocabulary provide both meaning and effect?

For example, consider this element:

<Author>...</Author>

A specification could provide just the meaning of the <Author> element, perhaps something like this:

Author: a person who writes a novel, poem, essay, etc.

The meaning is nice, but what effect should result from an application processing the <Author> element? That, it seems to me, is vitally important for a specification to provide. Do you agree?

Assertion: an XML vocabulary that has aspirations of ending up in the marketplace must be described by a specification that provides both meaning and effect. Do you agree?

/Roger

XML-DEV is a publicly archived, unmoderated list hosted by OASIS
to support XML implementation and development. To minimize
spam in the archives, you must subscribe before posting.

[Un]Subscribe/change address: http://www.oasis-open.org/mlmanage/
Or unsubscribe: xml-dev-unsubscribe@lists.xml.org
subscribe: xml-dev-subscribe@lists.xml.org
List archive: http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/
List Guidelines: http://www.oasis-open.org/maillists/guidelines.php

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.