[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: An inquiry into the nature of XML and how it orients ourpe

• To: rjelliffe@allette.com.au
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 11:49:03 -0800

Re:  An inquiry into the nature of XML and how it orients ourpe
On 2009-11-20, at 10:56 PM, rjelliffe@allette.com.au wrote:

> The use of classes and subclasses is characteristic but not definitive of
> an object-oriented system. An object-oriented system is merely one where
> all the characteristics of a thing (typically methods and fields) are
> bundled, and where most or all things are objects.

Ever since Day 0, I've been uncomfortable with the notion that there's anything O-O about XML.  It seems to me at a pretty deep level that O-O is about hiding and encapsulation; an object is a thing that can do some things on demand, don't bother your pretty little head about how it's done.  

It seems to me like XML is oriented exactly 180° in the opposite direction: Here's the data, here are some labels for the data, here are some ordering and containment relationships, you're free to do whatever you want with it.  That's a good thing and (I've always the big win) - the provider doesn't constrain what the receiver does.  -Tim

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.