[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Serialization of XDM - Use cases / Proposal

• To: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 10:31:45 -0400

Re:  Serialization of XDM - Use cases / Proposal
Thanks Michael.  In my mind, for this spec,  ease of implementation trumps borrowing from existing specs if you cant in fact reuse existing technology.
e.g from what I can see
  <xsl:sequence select="xs:positiveInteger('5')"/>

Has the advantage of borrowing from existing specs (xslt) but is overweighted by the complexity of implementing the parser for say

"xs:positiveInteger('5')"

Not only would one have to write a parser for
       <TYPE> '(' value ')'

(not too hard)
But because it is borrowing from existing specs the implication would be that we'd have to parse *anything* that could otherwise be in select="..."
That would require a full blown XPATH 2.0 parser.

Now of course we could refine the spec to limit the subset of XPATH 2.0 which is allowed to be in the select="" to only a small set of lexical elements.
But then we're diverging from the original purpose of borrowing from existing specs which is that they are familiar, we dont have to re-document them, and they mean in this new spec fundamentally what they meant in the spec were borrowing from.

Given that I'm going to suggest atomic values be represented as a new element like
    <atomicValue value="5" type="xs:positiveInteger"/>.    

But try to reuse the other suggested XSLT elements for documents, elements etc.
All in a new namespace .. (because they are not actually the same thing as xsl: even if they are based on it).
I'm a bit on the fence if atomic values should have the value as an attribute or body.
Attributes make sense for small values like the above, but what a very common case of huge text.

<atomicValue value="This is a huge block of text
1000000 lines later"  type="xs:string" />

Gives me the impression the value should be in the body.

<atomicValue type="xs:string">This is a huge block of text
1000000 lines later</atomicValue>

Could always support both variants :(

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com  
http://www.calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org
812-482-5224

Michael Kay wrote:
A8BE77371C304F19BEF1624A7E68AB8C@Sealion" type="cite">

The first question I have in mind is how do we parse this.  This one example of Michaels has me a little confused:

<xsl:sequence select="xs:positiveInteger('5')"/>

This is the proposal for how to represent a typed atomic value.    This is pretty obscure to my novice eyes.  Reading this I wouldn't guess off hand that this means "Atomic value, type xs:positiveInteger, text value '5'". 

Well, I think it's merit is that it's familiar syntax and semantics for anyone who knows XSLT 2.0 or wants to go and read the spec. For many purposes, however, a more convenient syntax would be <atomicValue value="5" type="xs:positiveInteger"/>.  

That then leads me to the final question.  Suppose we transform this serialized form "almost an xslt" format, into "real xslt" format, then
run a real XSLT 2.0 parser on it.  How to get the resulting values out ?

Please bear with me as I'm very much a novice at XSLT ... maybe the answer is "obvious".
XSLT 2.0 claims that the result of an XSLT transformation can be a 'set of result trees'.
Thats an XDM sequence . (???)

No: XQuery can produce any XDM sequence as output (well, almost any - it can't for example generate unparsed entities); but XSLT can only produce a set of document nodes. You can write an xsl:function to produce any XDM sequence as its result, but you would need a processor-specific way of invoking the function and capturing its result in the external environment.

Incidentally, I was reminded of this project in some work with a client yesterday. They are running MarkLogic queries and feeding the result into Saxon, currently via lexical XML (it has to be serialized because it's on a different machine). In this kind of scenario it would be nice to transfer a typed document, but we really don't want a five-fold increase in document size over the lexical XML. Size does matter.

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/
http://twitter.com/michaelhkay

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.