[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: Schema development for information design & authoring

• To: xml-dev@l...
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 19:44:29 +0200

RE:  Schema development for information design & authoring
Thank you for the answers that confirmed my understanding.

I didn't mean to omit XSD (it's actually the one I know more), but with reference to technical documentation, the main two current  applications use DTDs
(DITA, DocBook to 4.5) and NG/Schematron (DocBook 5.0).

I guess for authoring purposes, in most cases industry standard schemas will suffice. Especially with DITA specialization feature. Probably, not
in too many instances that a business will choose to develop their own schema (generically speaking, incl. DTD).

From a schema development perspective within this scope, it seems to me that it is more of concern to broad info architectures and tool developers, and may be content management. But one motive I see for developing own in narratives or paginated documents, is that customization and/or parameterization of standard ones isn't very straight forward. Developing own schema that is more requirement specific simplifies the development of scratch transformations to assume better control over publishing appearance -- unless investment in high-end tools.

This is really the niche where I was interested in finding more about how likely/often a practitioner would need develop custom schema.

Any further comments appreciated.

Regards.
Khaled

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.