[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: [Summary] UTF-8 Question: e with acute accent should requ

• To: xml-dev@l...
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 13:59:28 -0400

RE:  [Summary]  UTF-8 Question: e with acute accent should requ
On 2007-09-29 10:51:36 -0400 "Michael Kay" <mike@s...> wrote:
>> I read "ASCII character" in a similar way as I read "TCP/IP packet" or 
>> "SOAP envelope" or "HTTP header".  Perhaps other people read it 
>> differently.
> No, I read it the same.
> 
> I think that an ASCII character is a Unicode character in the same way that
> an XML document is an SGML document. One thing can conform to more than one
> description.

We were speaking specifically of "ASCII" and "UTF-8", no?

The ASCII character set is a proper subset of UTF-8 (and a proper subset of ISO-8859-x, and of several other encoding schemes).  Identical bit-patterns identify identical characters.

So I agree that it is over-precise, tending toward confusion, to claim that the "A" in UTF-8 encoding is something different from "A" in ASCII encoding, or from "A" in ISO8859-1, -2, -8, or whatever, since *the design of those larger character repertoires deliberately and consciously intended to leave the ASCII subset unchanged.*  And consequently it is perfectly correct to say that "A" is an ASCII character, but Á is not.  (In this email, if I recall how I set up the client correctly, the latter is a UTF-8 encoded Latin capital A with acute accent; while this character is also found in the repertoire of ISO8859-1, it is encoded differently so that it is far more justifiable to claim that it is in some sense a "different" character (it is, at least, a different encoding of the character)).

Amy!
-- 
Amelia A. Lewis                    amyzing {at} talsever.com
A hundred thousand lemmings can't be wrong.

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.