[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: Major Historical SOA Milestone Today

• To: <xml-dev@l...>
  • Subject: RE: Major Historical SOA Milestone Today
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 18:27:39 -0400
  • Thread-index: AcZ0b52EWDi7oMYGSCGhLytNsxczfQAENPBg
  • Thread-topic: Major Historical SOA Milestone Today

major historical
Additional clarification: Though I endeavored to make this obvious by referring to this as an "informal call", I should re-emphasize that this was not initiated officially by any of the consortiums mentioned. It was more the case of several folks who are involved in committees in those consortiums getting together to informally discuss possibilities, and will continue to be as such until (or if) something more official is done. So it would be most correct to say that "individual participants in 3 open standards consortiums" participated in a conference call, rather than "3 open standards consortiums" participated in a conference call.

Just wanted to make sure that was clear.

Thanks,
Joe

Joseph Chiusano
Associate
Booz Allen Hamilton

700 13th St. NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005
O: 202-508-6514 
C: 202-251-0731
Visit us online@ http://www.boozallen.com

Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 4:24 PM
To: xml-dev@l...
Subject: Major Historical SOA Milestone Today

This is related to the OASIS SOA Reference Model (but actually bigger than that), so I thought I would pass it along:

I am very happy to report that a major historical milestone happened today regarding SOA. Today, 3 open standards consortiums (OASIS, The Open Group, and OMG) participated in a conference call to discuss how we can "agree" between the consortiums on what SOA is. OASIS has had a SOA definition for some time now (with the SOA Reference Model), and the other 2 consortiums just released theirs. This was an informal call, not launched from the highest levels of any of the consortiums. I represented OASIS on the call.

Here are some highlights from our call:

- Participants were: James Odell (OMG), Harsh Sharma (OMG), Ed Harrington (The Open Group), Chris Harding (The Open Group), and myself (OASIS). Frank McCabe (also of the OASIS SOA-RM TC) was unable to participate due to being at the OASIS Symposium.

- We are looking for 1 or 2 participants from W3C - I have an action item to suggest suitable individuals (any takers?:).

- Though the call began with the context of harmonizing our definitions of SOA to have a single, shared definition, in discussion we realized that that would not be possible given the differences between the consortiums, the areas that we each focus on, and the role we each play in industry. We therefore decided that our goal would be to produce and help foster an understanding of each consortium's "treatment" of SOA, and the value of each treatment to users and implementers.

- I suggested that we think in terms of the "SOA lifecycle", and where each consortium's work might most apply (the suggestion was very well-received).

- We also realized that a consortium's definition of SOA goes beyond a glossary-type definition; for example, I pointed out that for OASIS the SOA-RM spec (as a reference model) is itself a definition of SOA, in its entirety.

- We discussed looking at the various "perspectives" (viewpoints) of SOA - e.g. business, architectural, data, etc. - and mapping each of those viewpoints to each consortium's treatment of SOA;

- There is a possibility that all of the call participants may participate in a panel session at The Open Group's July conference in Miami, to discuss this very subject (SOA and the various consortiums). Each individual will also have an opportunity to give a SOA pitch on behalf of their consortium, and we may jointly author a white paper in advance of the consortium on each consortium's treatment of SOA.

- The group will hold calls every 2 weeks in the small setting, but with the understanding that each participant is acting as a representative and liaison for its respective consortium.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Joe

Joseph Chiusano
Associate
Booz Allen Hamilton

700 13th St. NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005
O: 202-508-6514 
C: 202-251-0731
Visit us online@ http://www.boozallen.com

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.