[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

OT: Corporate Blog Policies

• To: <xml-dev@l...>
  • Subject: OT: Corporate Blog Policies
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 22:53:20 -0500
  • Thread-index: AcYSdLunpU+27KeCRq6W01u/59M+zg==
  • Thread-topic: OT: Corporate Blog Policies

blog policies
[If anyone is aware of a fairly recent XML-DEV thread on this topic, please let me know - I did not find one through searching the archives]

Happy New Year All,

The purpose of this message is solicit thoughts/experience/advice regarding corporate policies on blogging. I'll start from the top:

I have long thought about starting a blog, and decided that I would not do so unless I was 100% clear on my company's policy regarding employee blogging. I did some internal research (PR, Legal, etc.), and found out that my company does not yet have any policy on blogging (which is not surprising as we are primarily a consulting firm rather than a vendor).

So I have decided to write my company's blog policy - and then filter it through Legal, PR, and various other internal resources prior to being published.

So my general question is: What are some things that people believe should be taken into account in such a policy? (please note that this is not the same as asking for your own employer's policy - please do not divulge any proprietary information here or directly to me).

For example, the following questions/considerations come to my mind:

- Should employees be encouraged/allowed to state their corporate affiliation in their blog?
- What if an employee states a position in a "hot" area (such as SOA) that - even if unintentionally - conflicts with the corporation's message for that area?
- What if such a position conflicts with another employee that is writing on the same topic in their own blog? (i.e. can such things be realistically monitored?)
- Should employees be required to place a uniform disclaimer on their blog that states "The opinions here are of my own..." etc.
- What types of "violations" (if one may use that term) can be considered so severe that they should lead to termination of an employee?
- How does one balance between rights such freedom of speech, and the need of a corporation to put forth a consistent, solid message?
- Any others?

Thanks so much,
Joe

Joseph Chiusano
Associate
Booz Allen Hamilton

700 13th St. NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005
O: 202-508-6514 
C: 202-251-0731
Visit us online@ http://www.boozallen.com/

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.